We propose five future priorities to recognise that research outcomes will benefit from better integration and coordination of effort and from the adoption of new technologies and methods.
These will enable more frequent and extensive monitoring and will ultimately improve our understanding of the marine and coastal environment.
The priorities proposed for marine and coastal management and reporting are:
- Use spatial information and Earth observation to help identify and protect Victoria’s marine assets.
- Update Victoria's Marine and Coastal Knowledge Framework to reflect the scientific assessments of this report.
- Develop thresholds to improve future reporting.
- Ensure that the Victorian Government continues to implement existing policies and management plans to benefit the environment.
- Trial different models and ways to represent the complex interlinkages between selected Sustainable Development Goal targets, to fully understand the interactions between Victoria’s environment, community and economy.